Saints Peter and Paul Parish Aliade
Associate Priest Revd Fr Jonathan Yough, C.S.S.p
About Saints Peter and Paul Parish Aliade
The history of SS Peter and Paul's Parish, Aliade dates back to the 1930's when the early missionaries were combing the terrains of the Benue Valley. As documents have it the evangelization of the lower Niger area by the Holy Ghost Fathers and Brothers from Germany,Ireland, England and France led to the establishment of the lower Niger Apostolic Prefecture.
Missionary activities started with the creation of designated areas particularly along railway camps such as; Igumale, Utonkon, Otukpo, Taraku, Agena etc. Taraku centre was later upgraded to the status of a parish in the 1935 and named Saint Patrick's parish.
In order to further spread the message of God in the new parish of Taraku, zones were created to facilitate the work of evangelization. The zones at that time were Raav, Mbakpa, Awajir, Njiriv, Ngyohov and Agidi. Ngyohov zone which is now named Ss Peter and Paul's Parish, Aliade, at that time was made up of churches within the Ngyohov area.
The rapid growth of this zone paved way to the upgrading of Ngyohov zone to an autonomous outstation. The surviving members of what is now SS. Peter and Paul central church attest that, the church started at CRI school site at Ayoo (Tse- Ayoo ) in 1948. In 1961 the name and venue of worship were changed and further moved to the present day St. Francis primary School, Aliade. Here Masses were first celebrated under a mango tree before it was finally moved to its present site.
In 1984, when the then Bishop of Makurdi Diocese, Most Rev. Dr Donald Murray, CSsp. paid a pastoral visit to the area, the Christian community requested for a parish in their key note address delivered by Mr. Jato Vitalis and Mr Stephen Enyi on behave of the community. Shortly after the bishop's pastoral visit, Rev.Fr. Murphy was posted to the area as the resident priest. On 29thJune, 1988,Nyohov zone was upgraded to the status of a parish and the name was changed from St. Francis Catholic Church Tse-Ayoo (Aliade) to Ss Peter and Paul's Parish, Aliade,by his Lordship, Most Rev. Dr. Donald Murray, CSsp. and his co- adjutor, Most Rev. A. A Usuh.
Over the years, the hard work of evangelization within the parish area has led to the creation of independent pastoral units – Saint Vincent Mission, Iorwar, 2014; St Peter's Ullam and St Martin's Abenga, 2016. St Vincent's Hospital Chaplaincy is also an independent Pastoral Unit created out of the Parish.
Presently, Ss Peter and Paul's Parish has 8 stations including the Central Church. The Spiritans are still taking care of the pastoral life of the Church. At present, we have Fr Francis Akuve, CSSp as the parish priest, Frs Cornelius Tyav, CSsp and Titus Kaajime, CSSp as assisting priests.